collapse

Welcome...

Registration is currently closed.

Welcome to Break the Darkness. We are a play-by-post role play site inspired by the world of the Black Jewels book series.

Please note, we have some custom fonts installed that will not work if viewing the site in Internet Explorer.

* Affiliates

RPG-DBlood & LaceA Tale of Two Cities: an oWoD RP set in present day Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MinnesotamoonspellForever NightMay the Darkness be Merciful RPGBlood Rites RPGOf Queen and BloodRoyal DecreeThe Brackish Jewels

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Important Information

* Chat Box

* Recent Posts

Storm and Fire by Gavin Berkeley
[May 07, 2018, 01:15:46 AM]

Seeking a Muse by Blair Grejya
[May 07, 2018, 12:53:33 AM]

Your Hope is Deeper than Pain by Darien Pryce
[May 06, 2018, 04:54:42 PM]

In and Out of Astral Planes by Merron Schezar
[December 26, 2016, 11:16:52 PM]

Woeful Winter Weather by Kaeden Sanzer
[December 20, 2016, 03:44:05 PM]

One Skip Ahead by Adara Kendricks
[February 24, 2016, 10:06:18 AM]

* Credits

BtD

Black Jewels series (c) Anne Bishop

Graphics and code tweaks by hideko

Plots and Characters by the Players

This is a hobby site; no monetary transactions are being made.

Author Topic: The Heart can Still Be Saved  (Read 2678 times)

Description: Tag: Luka

Luka Duplais

• Prince; Master of the Guard of Firion Province

• Race: Sceltan

• Birthright JP: 9

• Offering JP: 21

• Bio: Luka Duplais

• Player: hideko

• View Profile
Re: The Heart can Still Be Saved
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 11:07:40 PM »
It took a considerable effort for Luka not to sigh. Of course she had been curious. Curious as a cat, he muttered in his own mind, all the exasperation he felt feeding into the thought. There was a small part of him that had to wonder if this was Mother Night's idea of a debt repaid for all the trouble he and Rowan caused in their youth. His sister certainly would have found the situation amusing, in any case.

Luka scanned his memory of the women who had seen Aaricia that day, but none of them stood out in his mind immediately. More than who, though, he wanted to know why they had been talking about the place.

"And you didn't--" Before the statement had fully formed, he changed his mind. He shook his head. "Never mind. The next time you get curious and decide to go wandering into taverns... tell me. Hell, I'll even go with you. Just... tell me, alright?"

The Prince slowed his steps as they rounded the last corner. The City Guard were hauling out some of the brawlers who had finally given up. Judging by the noise coming from inside the tavern, however, it wasn't quite all of them. It was hard to tell if the brawlers' stumbling along as the Guards led them away was from the fight or the alcohol, though it was probably both.

Luka drew to a halt by his horse -- thankfully on the near side of the Guards and their procession -- and looked down at Thea.

"Will you come back with me, or am I going to have to chase you across half the city yet tonight?"

Thea Kinsbury

• Healer
  • "It is my choice how I wear my scars."

• Race: Chaillotian

• Birthright JP: 50

• Offering JP: 88

• Bio: Thea

• Player: Elle

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2016, 09:26:00 AM »
Thea found herself glancing up at Luka as he seemed to prepare himself to speak. When he cut himself off, her brows furrowed in puzzlement. What had he been considering saying? Even as he bid her to disregard it, the Healer regarded him a moment longer before letting her gaze be carried off to the front of the establishment that - oh, dear.

She allowed that this had not, perhaps, been the most well thought out action she had ever undertaken. She was finding herself rather more likely to put it among the more ill conceived. Not the most - not even the top ten, Thea thought ruefully - but certainly in that camp all the same.

Her expression was wry and less one of humor and more resignation as she spoke to the Prince, "That seems..." Thea couldn't find a delicate way to put it - or at least a way that wouldn't directly reference the milling chaos that was at last, starting to die down. "Yes. Although I feel as if my desire to investigate such businesses has been assuaged."

It was a gentle attempt at a tease, and Thea hoped it wouldn't be considered untoward. Given how recently her mistake had been made, she worried it might have been. Although allowing that she had no inclination to continue with similar decisions in the future should help.

Hopefully.

The healer was shepherded along by Luka's arm until they came to a halt alongside his mount. In an absent moment Thea stroked Griffin's shoulder. He was a familiar figure after all this time and one that still could bring her into a smile at the memories of the first time she had met the creature. Absent thoughts were pushed back as her attention was pulled back to the tavern even as Luka looked down to her as he spoke.

Thea worried her lip for a moment, fretful: "Everyone will be alright, won't they?" Her eyes darted up to his. "We can go if it's alright but - should I stay? If anyone is hurt?"

Luka Duplais

• Prince; Master of the Guard of Firion Province

• Race: Sceltan

• Birthright JP: 9

• Offering JP: 21

• Bio: Luka Duplais

• Player: hideko

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2016, 11:40:26 AM »
That the Healer had agreed so readily told Luka plenty. Though he had been worried, perhaps it had done her a little bit of good to recall that, dark Jewels or no, there were still places that she shouldn't go. The Prince harrumphed, taking her dry humor in stride but not wanting to make light of the situation. He had worried.

While the Prince felt reasonably sure that Thea was telling the truth, that she wouldn't go seeking out places where bar fights were likely to spontaneously break out, he also knew that she would inevitably find some other way to get into trouble eventually. He hadn't quite resigned himself to the fact that it was just in her nature. Not quite.

Luka's mouth twitched, but the small smile was gone even before it had formed. Leave it to the little Healer to still worry about the men who had been brawling in the tavern.

He looked over at the men being led away, and then back at Thea, a hint of amusement in his eyes.

"They'll all be fine," he assured her. "They'll have bruises, but it'll be a good lesson for them. When they wake up in the morning, maybe they'll have second thoughts about picking a fight like that in the near future. Let's go."

Luka sincerely doubted that an impressive set of bruises would deter any of them for longer than it took them to get sober. But they deserved every bump and bruise they had for their behavior, and Luka wasn't about to give any of them the benefit of the doubt and let Thea near them. Instead, he hoisted her up onto Griffin, got himself situated, and turned them in the direction of the castle.

He had had enough excitement for one evening.