collapse

Welcome...

Registration is currently closed.

Welcome to Break the Darkness. We are a play-by-post role play site inspired by the world of the Black Jewels book series.

Please note, we have some custom fonts installed that will not work if viewing the site in Internet Explorer.

* Affiliates

RPG-DBlood & LaceA Tale of Two Cities: an oWoD RP set in present day Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MinnesotamoonspellForever NightMay the Darkness be Merciful RPGBlood Rites RPGOf Queen and BloodRoyal DecreeThe Brackish Jewels

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Important Information

* Chat Box

* Recent Posts

Storm and Fire by Gavin Berkeley
[May 07, 2018, 01:15:46 AM]

Seeking a Muse by Blair Grejya
[May 07, 2018, 12:53:33 AM]

Your Hope is Deeper than Pain by Darien Pryce
[May 06, 2018, 04:54:42 PM]

In and Out of Astral Planes by Merron Schezar
[December 26, 2016, 11:16:52 PM]

Woeful Winter Weather by Kaeden Sanzer
[December 20, 2016, 03:44:05 PM]

One Skip Ahead by Adara Kendricks
[February 24, 2016, 10:06:18 AM]

* Credits

BtD

Black Jewels series (c) Anne Bishop

Graphics and code tweaks by hideko

Plots and Characters by the Players

This is a hobby site; no monetary transactions are being made.

Author Topic: Seeking a Muse  (Read 4176 times)

Description: attn: Blair

Blair Grejya

• Prince

• Race: Dharoan

• Birthright JP: 50

• Offering JP: 64

• Bio: Blair Grejya

• Player: hideko

• View Profile
Re: Seeking a Muse
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2018, 05:00:34 AM »
Blair raised his eyebrows at her. "So much for using me for my good looks, then, I take it."

The question was not entirely unexpected. It was the sort of question one was asked when one spent a long time away from home. It was also a question that usually had all kinds of uncomfortable baggage with it when people asked; usually when people asked about "home" they followed it with "family," which was a sore subject with him on a good day. Coming from Isolde, however, it was an oddly safe question.

It was also a question that he'd had plenty of time to ponder. Not just on his trip to Dhemlan, but in general. The definition of "home" had changed rather drastically for him over the years.

"Depends on your definition of home, I guess," he said, shrugging. "Do I miss Dharo? Sometimes. It's nice to be somewhere familiar, but other places become familiar with time. I miss my friends more than the places I lived in Dharo; it's harder to find people that feel familiar."

As if mentioning them had summoned their memories, Blair had a sudden longing to see his friends again. It was a feeling that came upon him to varying degrees on occasion, usually prompted by some wish to show them something. This time was just the realization of how long it had been since he'd seen any of them. Perhaps he would write a letter... or better yet, try and convince them all to visit him in Dhemlan. Unlikely as it was to happen, the thought cheered him, nonetheless.

Isolde Mckinlaigh

• witch

• Race: Dea al Mon

• Birthright JP: 24

• Offering JP: 57

• Bio: Isolde Mckinlaigh

• Player: Elle

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2018, 10:48:53 PM »
“No one said that good taste was a guarantee, regardless of looks,” Isolde shot back immediately. Her eyes rolled at the prospect. “I’d be out of a job.” A pause - “Or maybe my job would be that much easier if people didn’t have illusions of thinking they knew what they were talking about. No more blondes in chartreuse.”

A blond herself, the witch winced at the memory. Somehow it seemed like it should have been such an avoidable mistake. And yet, the Lady had been insistent.

..Which wasn’t to say that the final product had ended up as envisioned. Isolde considered it her kindness to society - both the witch, and her company. An unsung hero, saving the Blood from themselves, one disaster at a time.

Setting the glass down on the desk above her, she let her attention settle back on Blair. Admittedly, a nicer picture to consider than chartreuse. Or an excess of ruffles in poorly styled designs. Or jackets with poorly placed buttons. (Admitting those things, Isolde privately allowed, were much easier than to acknowledge that the male was unobjectively handsome. He had good lines, she would allow. But beyond that?)

An eyebrow of her own raised at the response. “The standard definition of the word, I would assume,” she interjected dryly. Although on reflection, maybe she wasn’t one to be asking - or defining - the concept. “A residence you keep or kept, family, personal history with those around you. That sort of thing.”

Admittedly, the Prince answered the question without hesitation, but it was still enough to give her pause. ‘do you think they miss you?’ would be a question too invasive for even Isolde to inquire. Although perhaps her line was less how rude a question was but how personal. Even this, she reflected, seemed to hazard perilously close to sentimentality.

"People are harder than places," the witch allowed after a moment. "To build foundations for, understand the pasts, see futures."
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 10:49:22 PM by Isolde Mckinlaigh »

Blair Grejya

• Prince

• Race: Dharoan

• Birthright JP: 50

• Offering JP: 64

• Bio: Blair Grejya

• Player: hideko

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2018, 12:53:33 AM »
The mental image of blonde hair with chartreuse was enough to nearly make him flinch. Yes, that could easily be a very bad combination. And it looked as if it were not just a theoretical for the little witch, either. He only hoped that she hadn't been the one stuck wearing the color.

Blair set his glass down for a moment to arrange himself on the desk, sitting on its now-cleared surface, one foot vaguely propped on the desk leg. He settled the glass in his hands and let them rest in his lap. Home was still a strange concept to him, and it wasn't something he often discussed.

The small apartment he'd had in Dharo was long rented out again, with most of what he hadn't taken with him stored at his friends' homes. He'd managed not to accumulate an outrageous amount of stuff over the years, but there was still plenty. He sent things back to them sometimes, when it became too much work to shuffle it around from place to place. He made a mental note to get together some of the things he didn't need again soon... the room was starting to accumulate the clutter of a long tenancy.

"I'll drink to that," he said, and did so. A smirk started to form again. "But at least you can talk to people. I don't know if you've spent much time talking to walls, but they're really not very good conversationalists."

It was a terrible joke even by his low standards, but humor was just as much of a shield as anything. This was a flimsy one, but it wasn't necessarily Isolde's questions that he needed to shield himself from.