collapse

Welcome...

Registration is currently closed.

Welcome to Break the Darkness. We are a play-by-post role play site inspired by the world of the Black Jewels book series.

Please note, we have some custom fonts installed that will not work if viewing the site in Internet Explorer.

* Affiliates

RPG-DBlood & LaceA Tale of Two Cities: an oWoD RP set in present day Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MinnesotamoonspellForever NightMay the Darkness be Merciful RPGBlood Rites RPGOf Queen and BloodRoyal DecreeThe Brackish Jewels

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Important Information

* Chat Box

* Recent Posts

Storm and Fire by Gavin Berkeley
[May 07, 2018, 01:15:46 AM]

Seeking a Muse by Blair Grejya
[May 07, 2018, 12:53:33 AM]

Your Hope is Deeper than Pain by Darien Pryce
[May 06, 2018, 04:54:42 PM]

In and Out of Astral Planes by Merron Schezar
[December 26, 2016, 11:16:52 PM]

Woeful Winter Weather by Kaeden Sanzer
[December 20, 2016, 03:44:05 PM]

One Skip Ahead by Adara Kendricks
[February 24, 2016, 10:06:18 AM]

* Credits

BtD

Black Jewels series (c) Anne Bishop

Graphics and code tweaks by hideko

Plots and Characters by the Players

This is a hobby site; no monetary transactions are being made.

Author Topic: Seeking a Muse  (Read 3188 times)

Description: attn: Blair

Isolde Mckinlaigh

• witch

• Race: Dea al Mon

• Birthright JP: 24

• Offering JP: 57

• Bio: Isolde Mckinlaigh

• Player: Elle

• View Profile
Re: Seeking a Muse
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2016, 01:06:28 AM »
Feeling someone’s laughter was a feeling that the small witch wasn’t used to. However, with Blair’s close proximity, it was impossible not to notice the light timbre of his mirth, the shifting of his figure as he expressed his humor. She blinked, eyes refocusing on the threads of the carpet. How strange.

“Somehow I feel like we’ve gone well past the point of making note that I’m far from most people.” Her voice was slightly acidic as she delivered it. “I’m here.” The carpet. The room.

In Dhemlan proper, really. There were so many things that most people might not have done, but damn it all, she had chosen to do them anyway. Mother Night. It made the script of her life, Isolde thought with an expression of grim humor flickering over her features briefly.

She huffed out a laugh, though, the movement bringing her more firmly against his hands for a moment.

“I eat children for breakfast. My mother tried to kill me. I’ve never left Dhemlan.” Her inflection didn’t change on any of statements. Her posture didn’t shift. She was already leaning into the touch of his fingertips so every twitch had been accounted for.

Isolde rotated her upper body slightly, to get a clearer line of sight on the Prince. Her deadpan quips had an element of - what? Something behind it, but even she struggled to identify what it was. Perhaps it was a desire for the truth to be spoken, even if it was couched in nearly unnavigable ambiguity. Perhaps it was the hour.

“Really. If I had known this was one for one, I might have asked something far more interesting about you.”

Blair Grejya

• Prince

• Race: Dharoan

• Birthright JP: 50

• Offering JP: 64

• Bio: Blair Grejya

• Player: hideko

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2016, 12:19:06 AM »
Unseen, Blair rolled his eyes a little. It was true, she was not most people. He had figured that out quite a while ago, but even among "not most people" there were not many that would comment on the carpet quite like she had.

The three statements were so... not bland, but there was not a hint of interest in them from her. It took Blair a moment to process the things she had said. He easily discarded the first statement; it was ridiculous to the point of absurdity and rather unlikely. He could see the phrase "eat someone for breakfast" used in reference to the little witch, but only in the metaphorical sense. The woman had a sharp tongue, and Blair had only seen the tiniest flicks of it, up until then. He wasn't about to find out whether it was as sharp as he expected.

He paused only for a moment, after she'd finished talking, unsure of what to make of the last two statements. She'd given him three things, one of which was obviously a lie. The other two could have been true or false or one of each, and he didn't know which. He expected that one was truth, but couldn't be sure which. So instead, he filed both away and let the statements stand.

As Isolde rotated herself, his hands shifted and slowed as he looked down to see what she wanted. Giving his hands a moment of rest, he straightened his back and settled back on his heels.

"Well, there's still plenty of secrets to be learned," Blair teased. "Unless you'd rather change currency?"

Isolde Mckinlaigh

• witch

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2016, 12:30:14 AM »
As the male shifted over her, Isolde propped herself up on her elbows. Her head tilted to the side, blonde hair spilling over her shoulder. For a moment, Isolde let her curiosity be piqued. It was challenging to assess the veracity of his statement studying the damned rug, though.

Given that Blair had lifted himself up back onto his heels, the witch found that she had enough clearance to change her positioning. Using a hand as leverage, she rotated and scooted back as she sat up. Her legs (and skirts) dragged across the floor, clearing where the Prince crouched. Leaning back on her palms, Isolde looked at him quizzically.

“Change currency, you say?” The calculating gleam in her expression was studied and sharp. With honed interest, it seemed that the tiny witch was more akin to a feline sighting something curious nearly within reach.

However, the transparency of her intensity ebbed away as she settled back. Letting her fingers card the carpet again as her palms settled against it to support her weight, Isolde slouched back against her arms comfortably. “I’m curious. How do you mean?”

Blair Grejya

• Prince

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2016, 02:49:36 AM »
As Isolde moved, Blair shifted again to make it easier for her to do so. Since she wasn't complaining or biting his head off for stopping, he guessed that he was being truly given a bit of a rest. He surreptitiously stretched and tensed his hands to keep them from getting stiff after working as they had for so long.

The Prince updated his ideas about the witch again: she was like a curious little cat, or a particularly mischievous bird of some sort. There was certainly curiosity in that look of hers; intrigue but also caution. There was something that she was interested in, but wasn't quite sure enough to fully engage, testing the waters instead and digging for more information.

Blair, on the other hand, went between being like an overeager puppy (according to Aeron on far too many occasions) and being a little wolfish. The storybook kind, when it suited him.

His grin reappeared, lopsided and impish. "A secret for a secret, that's what we're dealing in now, no? So there are plenty of other things that could be traded for secrets. I'm open for negotiation."

He shrugged, and stood up to stretch. "You can ask any sort of interesting question you can come up with, and I'll even let you suggest your own form of payment for the answer. But, if I get to decide whether the payment warrants a full answer."

Isolde Mckinlaigh

• witch

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2016, 11:12:28 AM »

Finding that she had to lean back on her hands and open up the angle of her hip to keep the Prince in sight as he stood was no real surprise to the witch. In fact, as Isolde watched Blair stand, there was something of quiet cunning calculation in her expression. As he shifted from the ground, Isolde maintained a neutrally unchanging set of features. Behind her eyes, however, one could almost hear the rapid shuffle of thoughts as she riffled through them, discarding some and dragging others more closely to parse through.

It wasn't common to feel as if someone else had the ability to pull a rug out from underneath her feet. Finding that Blair had done so with a deft adroitness might, on another day, or in other company, have left the petite witch vexatious. Now, though, she only seemed quietly delighted at the game that had been engaged.

"Penalties," she asserted after a moment. "There should be something in place - to ensure suggested payment warrants the question, but also to ensure that the completeness of the answer isn't cheated simply because one can."

To have a rug yanked out beneath her boots was a disconcerting feeling. Instead of stiffening and resisting the motion, however, it seemed that the witch had decided to scrap back in the way that she knew best - yanking it right back in return after the lull of stillness, tempting an unsuspecting mind into thinking that she had fallen to her knees. Hardly.

After a moment, Isolde quirked a brow at him. "This cannot be what you had anticipated doing with your night."

Blair Grejya

• Prince

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2016, 05:36:54 PM »
Blair nodded in agreement with her condition. This was a game he was familiar with, though if she had agreed to play it even without the condition of a safeguard, he hadn't been planning on cheating. Much. Only if the question deserved it, really. And usually when he wanted to play and cheat there was something more to the game, and the other participants were usually blissfully unaware of the folly they had made in letting Blair spin things to his advantage.

He flashed a toothy grin at her last statement and shrugged. "Changing my plans at two in the morning was perhaps unexpected, but hardly the first time I've had it happen. I like to leave my options open, just in case."

It was, for the most part, a true statement. He was used to having to change his plans at the last minute, especially if something came up while he was out socializing. He was certainly not above taking advantage of opportunities that presented themselves. He was not as used to having his quieter evenings interrupted quite so spectacularly. Even when he was back in Dharo, his friends knew the nights he liked to work, and unless there was something that wasn't likely to reoccur, they usually let him be on those nights. Sometimes, they would come around to just spend time in their own ways, all three of them quietly working in each other's company.

"Penalties it is, then," Blair agreed, finding the previous subject again. "You can pick them. If it's something I won't do, I'll tell you. As I'm sure you noticed, I am particularly lacking in shame. You ask your question, name your payment and your penalty, and I'll answer."

It was giving her a lot, he realized, letting her pick both penalty and payment. He didn't really care. Despite that she was rather prickly, he expected that she would also be fair. Probably.

Isolde Mckinlaigh

• witch

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2016, 10:28:30 AM »
The seamstress had passed the moment where Blair had smiled - toothily - without so much as a sideways glance. Instead, Isolde's mind was too busy picking at the intricate tangle of thoughts and possibilities, the skeins of options as they threaded around one another. The fact that the Prince had seemed unperturbed (even by her attempt at throwing a rench in his plans to have this go as smoothly as it would if he simply had his way) had merited a pause. A moment of consideration.

But then the witch pressed on. "Oh no," she purred, expression keenly thoughtful. "That's no fun. To have everything out on the table? So boring. Predictable."

Digging her heels into the carpet, Isolde pushed herself back the arm's length until she reached the wall of his room. Propping herself up against it, she settled back and let it support her as she drew her knees up to her chest. Looping her  arms comfortably around her lower legs, she found herself more comfortable now, able to keep Blair in her sight without craning her neck for the proper angle.

"Penalties will be sorted out after a question has been answered unsatisfactorily. Although I suppose room must be left on the table for negotiation in each circumstance on what constitutes unsatisfactorily."

She laughed, then. How bizarre. This certainly hadn't been anything she had anticipated. And why hadn't she left -? Isolde brushed the thought away: it was an unnecessary hindrance. "And perhaps something to drink wouldn't be amiss."

Blair Grejya

• Prince

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2016, 12:05:15 PM »
Blair laughed. So she liked to play the game dangerously. Dangerously for him, apparently. It was foolhardy to not feel some sort of caution, but after all the pranks and games that he and his friends had played over the years -- especially in their younger years -- it would have taken rather higher stakes for him to be truly concerned. He liked this version of fun.

"Alright, we play your way," he shrugged, the laughter still in his voice. It was all in the name of fun, anyway.

At her final request, he nodded and vaguely shook a finger in her direction. With the addition of liquor, the game sounded even more fun. "That, I can help with."

He padded off to the cupboards by the small kitchenette that was in the room. Hardly more than the cupboards, a small counter, and a small stove. The sink was just outside the bathroom. Within the cupboards, Blair had managed to create a small, but very respectable stash of liquors. He grabbed a few bottles and set them on the counters, and then found two glasses.

Into one of them, he poured a slapdash cocktail that he'd spent years tweaking but still somehow never made the same way twice. The flavor changed a little every time, of course. It usually close enough that he considered it the same drink. After he finished, he turned back to Isolde, and gestured to the various bottles on the counter next to him.

"Pick your poison," he said grandly. "And ask your first question."

Isolde Mckinlaigh

• witch

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2016, 11:41:04 AM »
Isolde shrugged in a mien of playfulness. Blair's voice had been rife with entertainment, and even as he wagged his finger at her, the witch remained as always: completely irrepressible. She shot a smirk in his direction.

"You'll find I only play my way." Her own retort had affected something of a snide note to it, although the laughter she dissolved into after the fact ruined the image. Although, perhaps not wholly so the message.

She was, after all, terribly adept at getting what she wanted.

Although Isolde considered, for a moment, that she had just met a master at the craft on par with her own skill. It was clear from the stash of liquor in the shelving that the Prince, at least, had no complications identifying what he wanted, what he liked, and then could dedicate himself to cultivating the craft.. when it came to alcohol, at least, Isolde would applaud the skill. Leveraging herself to her feet, she padded over to investigate the bottles.

She was perfectly content to peruse labels, although she couldn't help but speak: "You're very thorough." Wry notation aside, Isolde commenced to opening a bottle, a familiar one to her. Filling her glass part-way, it was topped off with a different alcohol.

"Starting easy," Isolde remarked, as she neared the completion of her drink. "Why Dhemlan?"

Blair Grejya

• Prince

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2016, 11:10:07 PM »
"Thank you," Blair grinned, pleased that Isolde had taken even that much of an interest in his collection. One of the strange but seemingly inevitable things that he had found about being a writer was that there were quite a few wealthy individuals that would gift him with decent - if not outright good - alcohol as thanks for entertaining at their parties, or as a bribe to entice him to come to one.

After the witch poured her own drink, Blair held up his in her direction. "Cheers."

Her question didn't require very much thought; an easy question, indeed. Despite that, it was a question that most didn't bother to ask. Then again, he expected that every question Isolde asked was going to be one that most either wouldn't have thought of or wouldn't have bothered to ask.

"Because there was someone here I had to meet," he answered, allowing his tone to be a little wistful for a moment. The next moment, however, he gestured with his glass and gave Isolde a stern look. "And no, I don't mean that as some sort of cheeky pickup line. I mean that literally."

He took a long sip of his drink and finished gathering the rest of his thoughts. Even for a simple question, he didn't think he would get off that easily.

"Another author," he continued, expanding on his previous comment. "One who was a favorite of mine in my formative years..."

Another long sip, and a pointed stare at Isolde. He'd given enough of an answer without knowing what his payment, or her counterpoint, was going to be.

Isolde Mckinlaigh

• witch

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2016, 09:06:27 AM »
 Quicksilver mind as she had, Isolde's lips were already parting to offer a riposte to Blair's comment about meeting someone. 'Someone?' the quirk of her eyebrows seemed to suggest. He managed to head off the rejoinder though, and the witch subsided into silence.

Dig thieved from her as it was, she closed her lips with a huff, even as her expression lightened into a rather pointed amusement. Even he had managed to see what he had set himself up for there, although apparently it had been inevitable if the Prince didn't bother skirting it in the telling of his answer.

"Kill-joy," Isolde ribbed under her breath. It seemed that she hadn't been completely incapable of repressing herself.

Tilting her head as his answer continued though, the witch seemed placidly intrigued. It wasn't the razor sharp interest that prickled gooseflesh. As she rolled her glass between her palms, she noted the temperature of the drink dropping from the ice. Despite that, she didn't find herself chilled. The ambient temperature of the room was comfortable enough that even as she sipped at it, Isolde didn't feel the need to fight a chill.

"Was it worth it?" There was another way that she might have asked that, she considered. Had he gotten what he wanted from the meeting. Or his arrival as a whole.

But worth - that was a more interesting prospect, Isolde considered, sharper clarity coming into her gaze again.

Expression making it clear she was still mulling through her thoughts, the witch added, "You pass, by the way." A pause, as she sipped at her drink again. "No penalty for that answer. I consider it satisfactorily in full."

Which didn't mean that she wouldn't take his words and shred them down the seams. It was the same feeling as when a button and closure didn't line up correctly. A measurement was off, the fit was wrong.. stitching needed to be carefully tugged out and then she needed to reassess her design, the plan. Needed to find out how things worked together in a way she must have overlooked.

Blair Grejya

• Prince

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2016, 12:50:15 AM »
Blair felt slightly impish as the little witch called him a kill-joy. While the verbal sparring was certainly entertaining, he did occasionally have his moments of maturity. Clarifying his words was one of those seemingly rare moments, though feeling the distinct satisfaction of parrying a comment from Isolde was not.

The next question was one that he hadn't even thought of himself. Blair took a drink, thinking about the taste of the liquid almost as much as he thought about how to answer the question. Before he could begin, Isolde spoke again, and he raised his glass in her direction in thanks.

"Was it worth it," Blair mused aloud, studying the glass in his hand with apparent interest. "Short answer, yes; longer answer, so far it has been well worth the effort to come all the way to Dhemlan. For more reasons than meeting an old idol of mine."

The meeting with Graham Weller hadn't been what he had expected at all, though it had been interesting. It had been rather short, but Weller had promised to meet with Blair again. Even that short meeting had been worth the trip to Amdarh, to Blair personally. Of course it hadn't been everything that he had ever imagined it would be, but then what could have lived up to the expectations of so many years of imagination?

The Prince turned his gaze back over to the seamstress, smirk firmly back in place. "For one thing, I have a number of wonderful new suits to show off in."

He leaned back against the counter and settled into a comfortable stance. He didn't really expect flattery to win him any points -- on the contrary, with this fiery little witch it was just as likely to lose him some -- but he was thankful for what she had already sewn, altered, and sold him.

Isolde Mckinlaigh

• witch

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2016, 10:14:51 AM »
"At least you recognize superior quality," Isolde rebutted casually. "Perhaps there's hope for you yet. You can learn. Will you tell your editor, or shall I?"

Leaning comfortably back against the wall, the witch let her legs fall to the side as she found herself a position that pleasantly tweaked the pull of the long muscles in her back. The weight and press of the massage that Blair had given her left a residual ache that she shivered with pleasant satisfaction at. There was something for hedonistic pleasures, Isolde considered. Plush carpet, a drink that went down smoothly, fine fabrics. It was all very appealing in a way that made her resonate with gratification.

Thinking back to his words, the small woman snorted: "Short answer - boring. Unless it's going to contradict the long answer in some way, at least." As contradictions and things that struggled to reconcile were at least, interesting.

Somehow, Isolde thought as she took a sip of her drink, the alcohol cool as it went down but burning all the same, Blair seemed like one who would have those juxtapositions. She had come across several already. Perhaps that was part of why he intrigued her and entertained her. The male understood the nature of presentation. Identify the audience, satisfy them, gratify them, but leave them guessing, leave them wanting more.

Although with a face like that there would always be at least a handful of witches who would always come back time and time again, the witch concluded idly.

She would strive not to hold it against him.

Much, anyway.

"Flattery doesn't spare you a penalty, by the way. I get to put you in a shirt color or pattern of my choosing for your next event." That he thought he could leave off with something so tantalizing as 'more reasons' and then attempt to head her off with ego stroking? Nonsense. "Worthwhile how?"

Blair Grejya

• Prince

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2016, 09:53:39 PM »
Blair grinned a little more, held out his glass in a silent toast to the witch, and took a long sip. Her jabs at him felt far more friendly now. He was beginning to think that it was just how the witch alway was, showing favor (if not affection) in a prickly sort of way regardless of relationship. The slightly backhanded, sarcastic remarks were entirely in line with his own style, as well.

It was a freeing sort of camaraderie, he thought, and the Prince relaxed. While he had gotten quite good at maintaining the appearance of relaxation, it was quite different from the actual thing. With the help of a little alcohol, and the promise of more conversation that didn't really have anything riding on it, it was much easier.

He shrugged, shaking his head a little in mock disbelief. "My, my, Lady. You do chose your penalties with care, don't you? I think you're the only witch that I've met who would chose putting more clothing on as my penalty..." He pretended to think for a moment. "Although, perhaps that is more of a penalty than the other way around."

After taking another drink, he continued, "The trip in and of itself has been useful. Easier to capture the feel of a place when you've actually been there. And there are any number of places between here and Dharo that would be interesting enough to write about.

"I've also had plenty of time to work, despite the distractions that abound. It's been a nice change of pace," he said, a little surprised at the realization that it actually had been a nice change of pace.

Isolde Mckinlaigh

• witch

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2018, 02:10:02 AM »
Isolde rolled her eyes: the male was patently absurd. “I consider the penalty to be that I’m setting up to be so affiliated with your appearances.” A narrow stare as she sized him up. “What a state the world’s come to. But you must be stopped and apparently I’m the one up to the task.”

And if he made a height joke that that, she would be sorely tempted to bite him. Or at least kick him. Low hanging fruits indeed.

“Do you miss home, then?” Now that she thought about it, Isolde thought, she didn’t know if the Prince kept up a residence in Dharo. She presumed it must be so, though perhaps it was a faulty conclusion. It was a surprising lapse in information to have gathered about someone and not one that the witch normally erred in.

Although admittedly, most offered the information of their own volition. For all his candor and effortless conversation, Grejya was surprisingly lacking in the details. It was an odd contradiction. Rolling the tumbler of liquor between her palms a moment, she sipped after raising the glass in response to the silent toast he had made. It burned a bit on the way down, but that was of little deterrent to the small female. She had drank worse, and doubtlessly would do so again.