collapse

Welcome...

Registration is currently closed.

Welcome to Break the Darkness. We are a play-by-post role play site inspired by the world of the Black Jewels book series.

Please note, we have some custom fonts installed that will not work if viewing the site in Internet Explorer.

* Affiliates

RPG-DBlood & LaceA Tale of Two Cities: an oWoD RP set in present day Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MinnesotamoonspellForever NightMay the Darkness be Merciful RPGBlood Rites RPGOf Queen and BloodRoyal DecreeThe Brackish Jewels

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Important Information

* Chat Box

* Recent Posts

Storm and Fire by Gavin Berkeley
[May 07, 2018, 01:15:46 AM]

Seeking a Muse by Blair Grejya
[May 07, 2018, 12:53:33 AM]

Your Hope is Deeper than Pain by Darien Pryce
[May 06, 2018, 04:54:42 PM]

In and Out of Astral Planes by Merron Schezar
[December 26, 2016, 11:16:52 PM]

Woeful Winter Weather by Kaeden Sanzer
[December 20, 2016, 03:44:05 PM]

One Skip Ahead by Adara Kendricks
[February 24, 2016, 10:06:18 AM]

* Credits

BtD

Black Jewels series (c) Anne Bishop

Graphics and code tweaks by hideko

Plots and Characters by the Players

This is a hobby site; no monetary transactions are being made.

Author Topic: Storm and Fire  (Read 3322 times)

Description: tag: Alene

Gavin Berkeley

• Prince; Master of the Guard of Narshe Province

• Race: Sceltan

• Birthright JP: 79

• Offering JP: 53

• Bio: Gavin Berkeley

• Player: hideko

• View Profile
Re: Storm and Fire
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2016, 11:24:25 PM »
Gavin was surprised when Alene began to explain herself further. Was saying that he didn't understand all it took? Somehow he felt that this time was different. Whatever the reason for it, her explanation did clarify a few things despite that she seemed to be more unsure of her words.

The Prince nodded along with Alene's words. Halfway through, the reasoning started to make less sense again. Still, he nodded and followed along until it began to make sense once more. Perhaps if he didn't think about it, then it would start to make sense. Or at least, marginally more sense. He wasn't really sure what to think anymore, not when it came to Alene, anyway.

At the mention of war, his congenial expression faltered for a moment, and his eyes dropped down.

Steam rose off the coffee, swirling in the air and dissipating quickly. Gavin watched the patterns it made as he wrestled with his own thoughts for a moment. The war, inevitable at this point, was almost always at the back of his mind. When its voice became too loud, it drudged up pieces from his past that were always difficult to put to rest.

He forced a bit of a smile as she mentioned his post, but there was no real heart in it. There was still a part of him that felt like it wasn't real. Being in the Guard, that was nothing new, but to be Master... it was a privilege he still felt that he hadn't earned.

Almost desperate for something to delay any response he ought to make, Gavin took a long sip of coffee. The taste, not cut much by the addition of cream, grounded him again, dragging his mind back to the present and nothing else.

"I think 'different than expected' sums up most of my time in Scelt rather nicely," Gavin said, a note of his usual humor making its way back into his tone. He sighed. Was anything ever going to go as he expected in his life anymore?

He glanced back over at Alene.

"Thank you," he added. "For clarifying."

Alene MacKenna

• Black Widow Healer

• Race: Glacian

• Birthright JP: 57

• Offering JP: 8

• Bio: Alene MacKenna

• Player: Elle

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2018, 01:42:17 AM »
“Scelt,” Alene felt compelled to amend. “Scelt is different than expected.”

There was something about this Territory, Alene thought. It was jarring, something tangible she should have been able to grasp, an itch she knew where to scratch but just.. couldn’t get a grasp on. It was a line that didn’t line up, a circle with a wibble just overt enough to ruin the symmetry and require amending, but impossible to find the aberration. It set her teeth on edge, fingers running over ridged hash marks that fell in perfect parallels.

Another pop of the wood in the fireplace, although it was burning lower now. Behind the shields beyond the pair of Grays, the room was quieting. People slumping down at their tables to settle in for the long night ahead, to wait for daylight, to wait for the hours of spells and craft and productivity in clearing the weight of snow that hedged them in. It was a breath before the flurry of activity, stillness in the darkness and gloom against the tomorrow they knew would come.

But what about the tomorrow beyond? Or the one beyond that? Would that manage to offer a thread, a skein of yarn, a new Tangled Web with a clearer picture of what this Territory was about?

Flinching slightly at the flare of brightness, her glassy-clear eyes turned back to the Prince. A not-surprise surprise.

“Clarity’s an illusion anyway,” Alene grumbled after a moment’s pause, her stare jarringly unblinking for a moment longer before it turned back to the table. “Thinking it’s understood, familiar, clear-cut.” A bubble of laughter rose unexpectedly from her throat. “It makes fools of us all.”

She tried another sip of the coffee, not disguising the wrinkle of her nose at the taste this time. Replacing the mug to the top of the table, the witch let her hands cup the ceramic as she resolved not to venture further attempts at the beverage in the future. Experience reminded her every time it wasn’t worthwhile, but optimism hazarded a second guess every time.

Alene fell to stillness again as a chord reverberated back at her inside memory, drawing her back to his earlier comment.

“A good different? Or a bad one?”

Gavin Berkeley

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2018, 07:28:53 PM »
The witch's remarks on clarity suddenly made him wish that he had a little less of it. A strong drink wouldn't do much to take the edge off without a lot of it, but part of him wished for it anyway. Ah, to be able to let his mind rest a bit. She did have a point, however. Thinking that one could see the way clearly was often folly.

Her laughter brought a bit of levity to the conversation, and he let himself relax another fraction. No use sitting straight as a rod if he was going to be stuck here until the storm was over. Surely no one could begrudge him a few moments respite.

The coffee wasn't... good, per se, but it was far from the worst he'd had. And it was warm, which he appreciated. He took another drink before he responded to the question.

"I don't know if it's good or bad, just... different," he began. "Although perhaps that's because my expectations are based on things half-remembered, and I don't know if they're just something I made up or not. It's been a very long time..."

His impressions of Scelt from when he was younger were just that: impressions. There were a few memories that were clearer, but for the most part he only remembered how the place felt. He couldn't have found any place specific if he'd been asked, certainly. Narshe was, he now knew, a rather different place than the coastal town he had been born in, as well. Coming back to Scelt... he hadn't thought about how it might have changed, because he hadn't expected to have anything to compare it to in the first place.

It hadn't been so much a homecoming as it had been following a trail somewhere new. Sure, some of the places, the architecture, the people looked a little familiar, like he'd happened across a place he'd previously seen in a dream. But there was no knowledge of the place aside from what he had learned as an adult.

He sighed. "I suppose it's mostly a good different. Things have worked out better than I'd imagined in a few ways."

Alene MacKenna

• Black Widow Healer

• Race: Glacian

• Birthright JP: 57

• Offering JP: 8

• Bio: Alene MacKenna

• Player: Elle

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2018, 12:27:43 AM »
Alene had given up on drinking the coffee. The fragrance of the beverage, and the heat as it seeped through the ceramic to the palms pressed tightly against it, were both soothing. It had the added bonus of forcing her to keep her hands still. In the back of her mind, the witch felt the nagging sense of unease, a shuddery tripping of jangling nerves down her spine. It made her itch, want to dig her nails into her palm, chase the wisps away until she could sit in clarity and light once more.

Instead, she relied on the sharp cut of the scent of coffee to chase away lingering thoughts. It wasn’t as familiar a mechanism, but it worked well enough.

“Memories are different,” she commented absently, observing as the last swirls of cream faded into a uniform hue.

The smell of the coffee and Prince Berkeley’s commentary were both doing a laudable attempt at clawing into her awareness, forcing her to stay in the present. Memories, indeed.

“Not different..” It was an attempt to amend the awkward repetitiousness of echoing his own answer back at him. “Just,” Alene struggled to thread the thoughts into sequence. “Memory is.. different. The things we remember that we think as truth, that aren’t. And then truth compared feels…wrong?”

Wrong was a good word for it. Her fingers tightened reflexively on the drink. Absently, Alene wondered if it were possible to crack the vessel without the use of craft. Under the fractured unease of her grasp, would it give way?

Instead of testing her curiosity, the witch let her hands drop again to the table’s edge. Scarred wood was a textural distraction against the pads of her fingers. Nicks and scratches and dents from lifetimes of use told stories. Well worn. Well used. Well lived.

Inquisitively, Alene looked up: “Than you had imagined?”

Gavin Berkeley

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2018, 01:15:46 AM »
For a moment, Gavin wondered if he had suddenly fallen asleep, or gotten very drunk. The Black Widow was making sense. Sense that he could follow, anyway. But no, the world was the same as it had been only a moment before. Whatever change he had felt was probably just his imagination, and he would be back to being confused any moment.

Perhaps it was only that her words had nearly echoed his own thoughts in some ways. He vaguely nodded, looking down at his drink.

"Exactly," he agreed. "I honestly don't know if some of the things I think I remember were real at all. It was all a very long time ago."

It would have been a different story to compare his memories of the Courts he had grown up in with their realities; he knew he had a very different view of it, both being a child and being close to the inner Circles. But Scelt...

Alene's inquiry interrupted his thoughts, for which he was a little glad. Being stuck in a snowstorm was all well and good, but if he got melancholy, as well, it would be a very long night indeed.

He shrugged a bit. "As I said, I came here looking for my sister. I had thought that I would be making my way around the Territory on my own, hoping that I would be able to follow her trail." His expression became a faraway smile for a moment. "Obviously, that didn't happen, but it was certainly a... happy coincidence, I suppose. So yes. Better than imagined, if only because my imagination was rather... grim, I suppose."